The next RECOSA Board meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, September 1st, 11:30 a.m., at the Generations Federal Credit Union Downtown Branch, 1828 North St. Mary’s Street. RECOSA members and other City of San Antonio civilian retirees are invited to attend the monthly board meetings.
At this meeting, the Board will be discussing proposed changes to RECOSA’s Bylaws. A special committee has been diligently reviewing and updating the current Bylaws over the last several months. If approved by the Board, the revised Bylaws will be presented to the RECOSA membership for a vote at the Annual Membership Meeting.
In addition to consideration of the revised Bylaws, RECOSA will have its annual board election on November 12th. Please save the date and we will provide more information soon. If you would like to volunteer to assist with organizing the annual meeting, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
At last week’s Brown Bag Session, Chad Tustison, Asst. Director, Office of Management and Budget, made this presentation (FY 2016 RECOSA ppt
) regarding the proposed budget for FY2016. Of particular interest to retirees, there will be no increase in premiums for pre-65 retirees’ United Healthcare coverage this next calendar year. A special edition of RETIREE MATTERS (FY 2016 Total Compensation Let’s Talk About FINAL
) provides additional information. We appreciate the City’s willingness to hold the line on non-Medicare premiums for next year.
As for post-65 healthcare coverage, premiums are not yet known as the City is going through a process currently to determine which provider will be selected to provide that coverage. RECOSA board members are working with the review committee to evaluate the proposals and make a recommendation. This process should be completed so that information will be available to retirees prior to open enrollment scheduled for October 12 – November 6.
The proposed budget also includes an ad hoc cost of living adjustment increase of 0.53% for retirees. This amount is calculated by Texas Municipal Retirement System (TMRS) and is based on the change (+0.76%) in the Consumer Price Index (CPI). The City’s adjustment of +0.53% is 70% of the change in CPI, the maximum allowed.
We are pleased to announce that City retirees will be able to participate for the first time in the City’s annual United Way Charitable Campaign. Many of you participated in the campaign as active employees and would like to have the opportunity to continue to do so. You may select up to four organizations to support with your contribution. (List of agencies can be found on the link below.) Please complete a pledge form and mail it to the Human Resources Department, or you may contribute online via credit card at the following link: http://www.unitedwaysatx.org/CoSA/Donate.html.
Please plan to attend a very important Retiree Brown Bag session at the Central Library Auditorium on August 20, 2015, from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. The City’s Chief Financial Officer will be presenting the proposed budget and how it impacts retirees. You will also learn how retirees can participate in the City’s United Way Charitable Campaign. This will be the first time this opportunity is available to retirees and we hope many of you will be able to participate.
Also, if you missed signing up for the very affordable ($10/yr/household) AirLIFE medical transport service at the last Brown Bag session, you will be able to do so at this August 20th session. You may also enroll by clicking on this form AirLife Online Enrollment Form completing it and mailing it to RECOSA, P.O. Box 12973, San Antonio, Texas 78212.
Remember to reserve your seat for the session. At RECOSA’s request, Human Resources has added a new retiree RSVP line, (210) 207-7000, so that you may leave your RSVP message 24 hours a day. You may also email your reservation to email@example.com
Hope to see you there!
We hope you have received your Retiree Matters quarterly news letter in the mail from the City of San Antonio. The newsletter includes the following important information:
- Retiree Brown Bag Series scheduled for August 20th at the Central Library
- City Manager Appoints Lori Steward as Permanent Human Resources Director
- RECOSA Participation with City’s United Way Charitable Campaign
- Humana 24-Hour Nurse Advice Line
- List of Recent Retirees
- S.A. Airport Travel Tips
- Men’s Health and Well-Being Information
Click below to see Retiree Matters Issue No. 23:
The next RECOSA Board meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, August 4th at 11:30 a.m. at the Generations Federal Credit Union Downtown Branch, 1828 North St. Mary’s Street. RECOSA members and other City of San Antonio civilian retirees are invited to attend the monthly board meetings.
The Board will be discussing proposed changes to RECOSA’s Bylaws. There will also be a report to the full board on the July 29th meeting with Human Resources regarding the following items:
Discussion of COSA Charitable Campaign
August 20th Brown Bag Session Agenda Items
FY 2016 Budget Discussion
Dental PPO update
Post 65 RFP update
Note: It is important that we have your current EMAIL ADDRESS in our RECOSA database so that we may quickly contact you, if needed. We do not have the funds to send out mass mailings so we greatly rely on email communication. Please send your email address and any other update contact information to Info.firstname.lastname@example.org Contact information will be kept confidential and only used for RECOSA business.
We hope you are enjoying your Summer! Your RECOSA board met on July 7, 2015 and addressed a number of issues:
• Changes in Board Membership: Immediate Past and Founding Board Chair, Gene Camargo, retired as an active Board Member and is now serving as Ex-Officio Board Member representing RECOSA on the City’s Post-65 Health Insurance Selection Panel. David Casas and Sylvia Glover have retired from the RECOSA Board due to time constraints and family commitments. Three new Board Members have been elected – Rose Rangel as Secretary, Sergio Soto and Charles Pruski
• New RECOSA Webmaster: Nancy Dean has agreed to maintain and refresh our RECOSA Website
• Updates of RECOSA’s By-laws are underway with the intent of posting a draft for review on this website by October 1, 2015
• City’s “ Speak up Sessions” for FY 2016 Budget were attended by RECOSA Board members – RECOSA requested City staff keep us informed of any changes being considered for our health or retirement benefits and a letter was sent to the Mayor, City Council and City Manager requesting that civilian/non-uniform employees not be forgotten in the budget process.
• Brown Bag Session on August 20th, 11:30 a.m., at the Central Library being planned in coordination with Human Resources. IMPORTANT ISSUES TO BE DISCUSSED:
a. Presentation of the City’s Proposed FY2016 Budget and any potential impacts on retirees’ healthcare and retirement benefits b. Aetna’s recent acquisition of Humana and any possible impacts on post-65 retirees c. RECOSA’s participation for the first time in the City’s Charitable Campaign – an opportunity to continue giving back to our community.
• AirLIFE helicopter ambulance service sign-up will continue for RECOSA members at the August 20th Brown Bag session or on this website.
• NOTE: Next RECOSA Board Meeting to be held Tuesday, August 4, 11:30 a.m. at the Generations Federal Credit Union (Downtown Branch, 1828 N. St. Mary’s Street. Please join us and bring a friend. Board meetings are open to all civilian retirees.
PLEASE REMEMBER IT IS VERY IMPORTANT that we have your current EMAIL ADDRESS in our RECOSA database so that we may quickly contact you, if needed. We do not have the funds to send out mass mailings so we greatly rely on email communication. Please send your email address and any other updated contact information to email@example.com (Note: Contact information will be kept confidential and only used for RECOSA business)
Alamo Call-A-Ride 4 Vets (CARV) Free Transportation for veterans, their immediate family, caregivers and surviving spouses within the 13-county Alamo region. The primary goal of the CARV program is to provide transportation (even just once) to those needing medical care or services first. The program can also be used for:
Doctor Visits (not just to the V.A.)
Trips to senior centers or community agencies
Eligible persons request rides by calling 210-362-5254 or 1-800-960-5201, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or may be referred by a social worker, case manager or other advocate. Alamo Area Council of Government (AACOG, the sponsoring agency) staff members assist riders with:
Information needed to provide the rides (no forms to fill out).
Verifying eligibility through proof of military service documents or V.A. ID
Once approved, the rider receives a contact number for a transportation provider nearby or assistance in scheduling a ride. If eligible, ride is provided FREE of charge. CALL NOW! (210) 362-5254 or 1-800-960-5201
The City of San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department Commander’s House Adult and Senior Center, 622 S. Flores, will host the 4th annual BRAVO FOR ARTABILITY – Never Too Old to Create Senior Artists Competition & Exhibition on September 18, 2015 from 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
The event hosts five categories of competition:
- Fibers and Craft
Prospectus and Entry-Forms are available upon request. Telephone 210.207.3011 or email: BRAVOARTABILITY_CREATE@YAHOO.COM
Deadlines: Registration – July 31, 2015
Artwork due – September 11, 2015 during 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
The next RECOSA Board meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, July 7, 2015, at 11:30 a.m. at the Generations Credit Union (Downtown Branch), 1828 North St. Mary’s Street. RECOSA members and other City of San Antonio civilian retirees are welcome to attend these meetings and to provide input to the board.
The RECOSA Board will consider the following on the Agenda:
* Welcome Rose Rangel as the new Board Secretary, elected at our June board meeting
* Accept Gene Camargo resignation and appoint him as an Ex-Officio Board member
* Elect Charles Pruski and Sergio Soto to replace David Casas and Gene Camargo on the Board
* Report from Board Members RE: Speak-up Budget Session held by COSA
Retirees, please join us at the July 7 board meeting and stay informed. Let’s keep our voices strong as we head into the City’s FY2016 budget session.