RECOSA recently learned of the passing of two people who played vital roles in organizing and supporting retired City of San Antonio employees.
Angelica “Angie” Rosas
August 2, 1947 – April 30, 2020
Angie started with the City of San Antonio circa 1967 as a cashier working at The German-English School Buildings located in the La Villita District across S. Alamo St. from Hemisfair Park. She went on to become secretary for George D. Vann Jr., first director of the Building Inspections Department, and subsequently for director, Gene Camargo, for 19 years. She retired from the City of San Antonio on January 31, 2003, with 35+ years of service.
Angie was a perfectionist and loved to plan Christmas and other luncheons and getting together with coworkers and friends for lunch or after work. She was a very generous and thoughtful individual with friends and colleagues.
One of Angie’s lasting legacies is her support of RECOSA and her fellow retirees. She gave generously to RECOSA for many years, which helped to sustain RECOSA’s efforts on the behalf of retirees. As a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, RECOSA depends on volunteer efforts and donations such as hers to support its mission.
Marjorie Ann “Marge” Jordan
November 22, 1929 – February 22, 2020
Marge earned a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree from the University of the Incarnate Word in 1967 and subsequently a Master’s degree from St. Mary’s University, and received an honorary Doctorate of Human Letters from Incarnate Word in 1999. She retired from the City of San Antonio’s Building and Zoning Department on December 1, 1997.
Marge was a generous benefactor of her alma mater, the University of the Incarnate Word.
On November 22, 1998, on Marge’s 69th birthday, the university held dedication ceremonies for the Marjorie Jordan Carillon Plaza, also known as the clock tower, located in the middle of the campus’ pedestrian plaza near most of the academic buildings. Replicating the illustrious steeple of the Motherhouse Chapel, which peaks through the arbors of the campus and overlooks the city, the plaza and clock tower serves as the campus’ centerpiece. The clock tower chimes every half hour, playing the Hymn of the Incarnate Word daily at 3 p.m. A set of stained-glass windows on each side of the structure tells the story of the history of the university and Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word, founders of the university.
In 1990, Marge also established the Jordan Family Scholarship in honor of her family, an endowed scholarship available to students in any academic discipline who evidence both scholastic potential and financial need.
Marge was also a member of university’s Verbum Society, a Planned Giving Society, honoring alumni and friends who have made documented bequests in their wills or through other planned gifts, including endowments, in support of the University of the Incarnate Word and its students.
Marge was instrumental in the founding and leadership of the City of San Antonio Association of Retired Employees, the forerunner of RECOSA. In 2004, she along with retirees Gene Camargo, Eddie Garcia, and Dixie Creed met with Human Resources staff regarding health benefits and TMRS. Recognizing the need to provide information and services, more retirees joined the group and established RECOSA. She also made generous financial donations to RECOSA over the years and recently was instrumental in RECOSA reclaiming funds held by the previous retiree organization.
RECOSA is eternally grateful to Angie and Marge for all their years of dedication, support and assistance to City of San Antonio retirees.
“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
– Maya Angelou